The last two months have been rough for me. My shoulder gave out and I had to do some physical therapy, then I needed an emergency root canal, so needless to say I haven’t felt very much like sitting in front of my sewing machine. Projects round here have been light because of that. I finally found some time and energy to do some sewing, so first on my list was finishing up some tardy Bee Creative swap blocks.
First up was the block for August, she asked for a log cabin block with little bits of color running through it. She used a sheet for the white, which I found to be a little harder to sew, but I think the overall block ended up quite nice.
The second block was for September. She asked for a fussy cut center and a standard log cabin block. Unfortunately I ended up cutting my strips a half inch larger than I had planned so my log cabin blocks looked a little weird, but I hope she is able to use it anyway.
As I told you earlier, I recently put together my Halloween top that the girls from my Bee Creative swap made for me. It was like a puzzle putting all the blocks together. I didn’t give them any direction on the size of the blocks, so I had all different sizes. I laid them out on the floor and moved them around until I liked the look. Then I added a little extra fabric here and there to make everything fit.
When I was done putting it all together, I felt like it needed something more, so since I have a lot of fabric left I wanted to try a border. I went for a braided border because it really shows off the leftover pieces of Halloween fabric. This was the first time I ever tried a braided border, and it was easier than I thought it would be. I used a tutorial from Quiltville. I cut my pieces 2.5 by 4.5 inches, which made a 4.5 inch border.
I am totally in love with this top, once it is totally finished it will probably hang in my hallway.
I have already finished the whole quilt top, but I wanted to post up the rest of the blocks before I showed you the whole top put together. These are the last of the blocks that were made for my Bee Creative Halloween quilt.
There are a few others that don’t have pics on Flickr, but soon I will show you the completed top. It actually went together really easily.
I just wanted to take the chance to show you a few more blocks that have been posted for my Bee Creative Swap swap. June is my month, and I sent all my swap partners some Halloween fabric. They basically had free reign to do any style and any size. It has been so fun to see what they are coming up with! Here are the latest ones:
From Quilty Girl2:
From Sew Lori Sew:
From Robin Heart Quilts (can’t post picture directly):
Aren’t they so lovely?? I can’t wait to get them all back and start figuring out how to put them all together into one top!
I have mentioned before that June is my month for the Bee Creative Swap I am in. I sent all my fabrics to the other 11 partcipants at the very beginning of June, and posted my instructions for them. I basically gave them free reign of the fabric, the only thing I don’t want is a traditional block.
Tracy was the first one to finish her blocks. Here they are:
They look great!! I cannot wait to see everyone’s blocks all together.
Last weekend I sat down and finished up Lori’s blocks for May. She wanted a modern log cabin. These are my blocks for her:
I had a lot of fun making them, I hope Lori likes them!
Coming up for the Bee Creative swap is June, which just so happens to be my month! Yay! So I have sent out my fabrics to all the girls and I can’t wait to see what I get back!! I will do another post soon with my fabric selection.